Homemade granola can be healthy, tasty and delicious. When you buy it in a store it’s generally high in sugar, unhealthy saturated fats and oils, and loaded with unnecessary filler ingredients. Making your own granola at home is quick and easy. You can control the amount of sugar and the quality of your ingredients. The more you experiment, the more new flavors you can add to make it 100% yours.
Here are a few other options to try: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans nuts. You can also use dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, sultanas or apricots. For a sweet treat add dark chocolate chunks or peanut butter. Adding chili flakes can give it a Whoomph as a tasty snack.
To make a gluten-free granola use gluten-free rolled oats. For a full list of options have a look at our great pinnable info-graphic.
Instructions – Step By Step
- Let’s begin by mixing all the wet ingredients. You can add the olive oil first, you can also use coconut oil too but be careful as coconut oil will burn faster. Then add the maple syrup, followed by the honey. Adding the oil first means the honey won’t stick to the spoon. Now add a good pinch of salt and some vanilla bean extract or vanilla essence. Mix this together and set it aside for now.
- You can use pre-chopped almonds, salted almonds, almond flakes and almonds with or without the skin. It’s your choice. Chop the dried cranberries, you could also use coconut flakes, raisins, sultanas and apricots. Again this is your choice.
- Now, in a large bowl we are going to mix all the dry ingredients together. Start by adding the rolled oats. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and eh 6 since it’s the end of the pack. Granola isn’t an exact science and it is very forgiving, as long as you don’t burn it.
- Add your almonds, sunflower seeds, you could use pumpkin seeds or Chia seeds too. Now we can add the cranberries. You can add these after baking if you don’t want them to go hard. Lastly a good sprinkle of cinnamon if you like cinnamon which I do.
- We can now add the wet ingredient to the dry mix. Make sure to get all that of that sweet goodness. No, really, get in there and get every little drop out. I won’t judge you for licking the spoon, our little secret.
- Mix this all together with a spoon, it’s a little sticky for hands. If you find its too dry, then simply add a little more oil. In total I have about 6 tablespoons of oil in the mix. Mix it until everything is well coated.
- Pour out the mixture onto a baking tray, you can of course use parchment paper if you like. Spread the mix out evenly and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mix from the oven and give it a good mix around. You can add the cranberries at this stage if you only want to gently toast them. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Once you see they are starting to gold remove from the oven and leave to cool. If you place them in a jar without cooling, they will sweat and get moist.
- Enjoy with fruit, yogurt, or simply blend it and add it to natural yogurt to make a cereal yogurt. You can also sweeten and thicken milkshakes by adding a few spoons.
Homemade granola will burn easily; keep it at a low temperature for a 8-10 minutes and don’t go too far, it cooks quick so turn it often. Better slightly under cooked than burnt, there is no fix for burnt granola; well, apart from the bin, that’ll fix it.