Healthy Salad Recipes
The great thing about salads is there are endless salad recipes, you can mix and match to suit your own tastes. There is a misconception, mostly among men, that a salad can’t be a meal on its own. It certainly can, and moreover it can be tasty and filling.
Whilst there may be no formula for what you can add there are a simple set of steps you can take to make sure your salad recipes turn out well.
Step 1: Start With Leafy Greens
The darker the leaves the more vitamins and minerals they contain. Darker leaves may be bitter so use baby leaves or mix and match.
- Lettuce or Bok Choy
- Arulula (Rocket)
- Swiss Chard
Step 2: Add Fruits & Veg
- Pears – Fins a nice hard pear, use a peeler to peel slices.
- Apples – Chopped into little chunks.
- Oranges – Peeled and segmented.
- Pomegranate – Great for a nutty taste.
- Carrots – Chopped or peeled with a peeler.
- Tomatoes – A salad in themselves.
- Olives – Black or green.
- Broccoli – Steamed or raw.
- Pepper – Great for color
- Avocado – Love it or hate it.
Use fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables to add color and sweetness. If you are going to use dried fruits be aware of the extra sugar content in them as they are dried.
Step 3: Add Protein
- Chicken / Turkey
- Seafood – Tuna, flaked fish, raw tuna, prawns etc
- Beef – Marinated strips of beef. Hmmm!
- Beans and pulses – Garbanzo (Chickpeas), black or white beans.
- Eggs – Yep feel free to eat up to 2 a day.
- Tofu – Make sure it’s good quality and fresh.
- Pork – So many options here.
- Cheese – Soft or hard cheese all work well.
If you are going to use a soft cheese, like a blue cheese, add it in before serving as it may sweat and overpower the taste of the salad.
Step 4: Texture & Flavor
- Seeds – Mustard seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds etc.
- Herbs – Basil, Cilantro (Coriander), Oregano, Thyme, Parsley
- Croutons – Oven baked preferably.
- Nuts – Cashew, Hazelnut, Peanut, Almonds etc.
- Ginger – Add some fresh ginger for ZING!
- Jalapeno Chillies – Or your own preferred chili.
- Lime juice or grated rind.
- Garlic, Shallots, Red Onions
Step 5: Dress To Impress!
Here are three simple salad dressing recipes to get you started. When making your own, keep it simple and taste along the way.
To make these dressings combine all the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake it well and drizzle over the salad when serving.