Healthy Smoothies For Kids
Most kids are picky eaters. If its not the color, its the texture. Find a smoothie that they’ll drink, then slowly over time, work in spinach and other vegetables. Let them make suggestions and explore new tastes and textures together.
Smoothies For Kids
Smoothies for kids are a great way to get children into healthy foods. Combining vegetables into smoothies is an easy way to show children that mixing foods together creates new tasty flavours.
The fantastic thing about smoothies is they are easy to prepare and put in a flask for work or simply prepare the ingredients and freeze them. When you are ready take the bag out and blend with a base like juice, milk or water.
There are so many recipes out there for smoothies that do this or that for you. Remember to keep it simple, fun and tasty when it comes to introducing new foods to children.
Quick Smoothie Tips
- Keep It Simple. Start with only three or four ingredients.
- Spices. Most fruit and vegetables go together. Not all spices and herbs do. Cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ginger, and nutmeg, are a few good options.
- Thinning, Thickening. For thin smoothies add ice cubes, water or juice. For thicker add yogurt, ice cream or peanut butter.
- Sweetness. Dates are a great way to sweeten a smoothie. Remove the pits and soak them overnight or for at least an hour before blending. Honey, maple syrup, and stevia are excellent choices for sweeteners. Try using fruit juice as the base of your smoothie instead of water. Over ripe bananas are also a great way to add extra sweetness.
- Juices. Make your own fruit and vegetables juices using a juicer. This is a great way to add extra veg without the fiber for the base of your smoothie.
- Kefir. Kefir is a probiotic drink you can make at home helping improve digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Healthy Fats. Coconut, flax, or hemp oil or an avocado will keep you feeling fuller and give you a better energy boost.
- Bonus Foods. Maca, cacao, goji berries, coconut oil, hemp seeds and acai are great superfoods to add to your smoothie for an extra bite.
- Taste as you go. Before you add too much sweetness, taste and then add more.
These are only a few ideas when preparing smoothies for kids, there are loads more. It’s hard to go wrong with wholesome fruit, just make sure you have some sweet when adding bitter ingredients. Please share if you liked this, we appreciate your kind support.
Where To Next
If you are only starting your health journey, have a look at our FREE online programs below. These will help you to get started and we will personally give you the support, advice and knowledge to eat, cook, and live healthier. No nonsense diets, just healthy living! Give us a try.